Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Revolutionizing the runway


Last Sunday I was lucky enough to be able to take both my daughters to what was billed as a "revolutionary fashion show" put on by Ophelia's Place here in Syracuse. While I'm not in general a fan of fashion shows, this really wasn't about fashion. It was about sending men, women, and children of all shapes and sizes down the runway with confidence. It was about redefining beauty to include many types of bodies and attitudes. It was about celebrating an aspect of the human condition that too often gives us cause for anxiety, obsession, and despair.

My favorite part of the event was the slide show at the beginning that encouraged the audience to stop the fat talk, stop body bashing. You know--the reflexive corporeal self-loathing we all (especially women) get into and express uncontrollably--to ourselves and to the world.

I love this message. Let's just stop--just say no. If you can't say something nice about your body, don't say anything at all. And don't be saying anything about other people's bodies. Because we are more than our bodies. We are powerful, strong, funny, loving, creative, inspiring, and beautiful.

I'm signing up for next year's show. Anyone want to join me?

* The terrible photo at the top of this post was taken by my laptop. I'm holding one of the purple chocolate butterflies that were given out at the event. It was delicious.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

your purple chocolate butterfly looks frighteningly similar to the purple butterfly wearable vibrator that I used to own, but lost the remote to. Just wanted to share a when-two-worlds-collide moment. Now I'm going to check out Ophelia's place!