Friday, February 20, 2009

Join the Rebellyon

Thanks to my friend Erik for sending me a link to this story about musician Amanda Palmer, whose record label, Roadrunner, told her that her stomach looked too fat in a new music video and that they needed to digitally slim it down.

Palmer's response: Love thy belly. Her fans jumped on the belly wagon, creating a "rebellyon" that includes a website where you can upload a photo of your own belly, inscribed with a message to the world.

This story is interesting both for its element of cultural body dissing and for its feminist subtext: Apparently one of the record label execs told Palmer, "I'm a guy. I know what people like."

Yeah, I'm a woman. I don't know what people like. I don't know what my own body looks like. And I sure as hell don't know why I'd ever buy another Roadrunner record. Except, of course, for Palmer's latest.


Rachel said...

That's great! Thanks for sharing the link.

Erica said...

Her video for the song Oasis is generating quite a bit of controversy as well -- it is a very funny, some say, flippant and inappropriate -- song about date rape.

Here is a link to the video on you tube:

Harriet said...

Thanks for the link, Erica!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful young woman standing up for herself!