Monday, February 23, 2009

Cupcakes and conversation


If you're anywhere near Syracuse, NY, this Thursday, please stop over at the panel discussion and book signing for Feed Me!. The book includes fabulous essays from some of my favorite writers, including Joyce Maynard (whose poignant memoir about making pie with, and then for, her mother still makes me tear up), Caroline Leavitt (who wrote a haunting piece about men, power, grief, and food), Diana Abu-Jaber (writing about the culture clash between Bedouin and American eating habits), and many others.

We'll hold a panel discussion with Mary Tantillo of the University of Rochester's Eating Disorders Program and Cris Haltom of Ithaca, both of whom speak eloquently about food, eating, and related issues. And yes, there will be cupcakes. I'm not saying they'll live up to the perky frosting on this one, but, you know, a cupcake's as good a reason as any to come out on a chilly night.

If you don't show up, I'll have to eat all the cupcakes myself.

9 comments:

c said...

Eeeeeek! I am going to try like heck to find someone to come with, even though finding the right lot/building at SU in the dark is going to be hellish. :)
Are you selling books on-site, or is there an uber-fast way to get one beforehand? I still hadn't ordered one from amazon yet (hangs head in despair and grief)

Harriet said...

I can give you directions if need be, Carlie. Email me offline at hnbrown at syr dot edu and I'll walk you through it. :) Books will be sold onsite. You can also pick them up around town at Barnes & Noble, and I think Borders. Please come up and say hi if you come!

Harriet said...

P.S. It won't be dark yet at 5. :)

Anonymous said...

Wish I could be there, but I'll have a cupcake here in your honor.

Carrie Arnold said...

A chance to meet you AND cupcakes? Is there anything better?

Yep- having it be a little closer to DC!

mary said...

Hope it went well Harriet. Been thinking of you and those cupcakes!

Anonymous said...

It went smashingly .. and the cupcakes were sooooo tasty!

Debbie said...

Sorry this is past AND I am nowhere near syracuse . . . but I just finished your book -- I loved it. I was really sad when it was over. :-)

Anonymous said...

Feed Me is such a great book about people's relationships with food and body image! I just love the book so much! It's very thught provoking!